Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My N800 Arrived!!! W00t! ... trouble ensues

Okay, I was really excited that my N800 arrived a day earlier than I expected. I have the next 5 days off, so this will be great and something for me to play with. My two 16GB SDHC cards are on their way, but probably won't get here until Monday'ish (2/18/08).

So, I unpackaged it and plugged it in to charge. After about 40 minutes or so I had to turn it on (while plugged in) to check it out. As I suspected, it had OS2007 on it, but I have to say it was pretty darn slick looking. However, I wanted to upgrade it to OS2008, so after a full charge (it said it was full... not sure how long I had it plugged in at that point) I went to follow the instructions for upgrading it. The first thing you need to do is shut it down... not just suspend it, but have it shut everything down. I did that and followed the directions on the site to plug it into the computer and then hold the "swap" key while powering it on to get the logo screen with the USB icon... I try and nuttin'...

I try everything I can think of to get it to power on... tried pulling the battery, pulling the SD card, you name it... nuttin'

I do a search on Google and wow, there are lots of people with the same problem. This page seemed the most informative, and led me to this page on Maemo's bug site which shows that it is now a confirmed bug and a patch is in the works. Whew... thank goodness.

...but, my device still won't power on. I've tried a lot of the things people talk about... leaving the battery out for a long time... nothings working. Then I see in the bug report that some people found a tip to put it in the freezer for a spell and then it will work... what the hell, I've got nothing to lose and I *could* return it for a new one. I put it in for around 5 minutes (probably less) and put the battery back in and BAM... powers right up. WTF?!?!? Yep, it works.

So, I tried powering it back off only like 10 minutes later to try my upgrade and nothing again. No biggy, I have a freezer. Pop it in for about 3 minutes and take it back to my computer already waiting to upgrade it, plug in the USB, put in the battery, holding the swap button I power it on and it comes right on and sets up for upgrading. About 2-3 minutes later and it's rebooting into OS2008!! AND, as slick as OS2007 was, OS2008 is even slicker!

I'm off to play around with my device now, so I'll blog atcha' later. ;-)

****UPDATE**** (2/18/08)
The bug fix seems to be in it's final stages before release. It can't come soon enough as I have a trip coming up and the problem continues for me. So far, the only way I can get it to turn on after a power off (whether I power off by choice or the device powers itself down) is to put it in the freezer for a minute or so. That's not going to work while on the road.

No comments: