Monday, February 11, 2008

Hello World!

So, being my first post, I guess I better introduce myself. I'm a geek. I LOVE gadgets and I love computers and all the things you can do with them.

My technical life actually started out in sales... I moved to selling higher-end technical training like CNE and MCSE training back in 1997. I eventually moved into the roll of System Admin and then did some consulting. Then I worked at a pretty major Health System first as a Senior Sys Admin, then as the InfoSec Manager. I later left there to get back into consulting and finally back to sales (sort of). I'm a Sales Engineer for a company that sells a software product for healthcare, but I do implementation, troubleshooting, etc, when not helping to close deals. It's not a big company, but it is VERY dedicated to its customers and purpose, so that makes all the difference.

I wanted to start this blog off mainly for myself so I don't lose track of certain tidbits of information I find along the internets, and for working through problems I come across so I don't lose track of their solutions for later use. However, I love the idea of thought sharing, so if anyone can benefit from my findings all the better!!

I'm starting to get back into Linux recently, and even have a Nokia N800 on its way to me in about two days or so. If you don't know what an N800 is, do a search. It's a pretty impressive little bit of kit. I will be giving my review of how it is and what it can do, and I'm SURE I will be using this site to figure out how to do many things with it. It runs Linux using the open source maemo project and can be upgraded to the latest firmware and OS (Tablet OS 2008, which is on the newer Nokia N810).

While part of me wishes it was an N810 on its way, there are some key advantages to the N800 over the N810. The biggest being that it has TWO (2) full size SDHC slots in it, where the N810 only has one MiniSDHC slot (currently maxed at 8GB and more expensive than SDHC) and I will be filling them with two 16GB SDHC cards!! That's 32GB of storage space people. There are already 32GB SDHC cards available, but they are still very pricey at this point (like $400/ea) Since this thing is capable of being a media player, that should give me a decent amount of space for TV shows, movies and music for any trips I take. It is also compatible with MP3Tunes and its Music Locker feature, so I could effectively stream my 300+GB library of music onto it at will! That's impressive too.

Well, anyway, like I said, expect more posts from me on all things geeky and my life at large.

No comments: