Sunday, February 17, 2008

Linux and Photography - Community Ubuntu Documentation

Linux and Photography - Community Ubuntu Documentation: "My sparkly new Linux computer now runs a semi-different lineup of software than it did with Windows, instead of Adobe Bridge for editing RAW files, I use Bibble Pro 4.9.5, instead of running Nero to burn CD's and DVD's, I use a program called K3b. There are a few Windows based programs I still need to run for lack of better Linux based alternatives. Some notable examples being Photoshop 7, MemoriesOnTV, and Star Wars Jedi Knight II*. All of which I am happy to report are working very well in a program called Wine. The makers of Wine describe the program as a Windows compatibility layer that makes the Windows based program you want to run think it is running in Windows. Wine still isn't at the 1.0 level of completeness, but it is close enough now that Photoshop 7 and many other Windows based programs run very well."

My friend sent me this link. It looks like a GREAT resource for anyone looking to make the switch from Windows (or Mac) or make it stick and does photo editing.

Being that I am still in the process of getting my feet wet with trying to run only Linux, I have yet to find replacements for all my Windows apps (or even figure out what all of them are). For those that I cannot find suitable replacements for, I will first try in WINE, then will possibly look to Codeweavers, maybe even Transgaming (for games) and finally will possibly run a VM of XP. I still have a dual-boot into XP, but that's a hassle... I just want to stay on one OS and not boot between them if I don't have to.

I will start to log the various apps I 'switch' to in Linux as I figure them out and remember to do it. ;-)

No comments: