Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bug 2673 - N800 Power up Drama

Bug 2673 - N800 Power up Drama

This will drop down to comment #47 which lists the new firmware that addresses the power up after shutdown issue.

Now that I'm running Ubuntu Linux as my main OS, my flashing experience was a little different. It was easy once I figured out one little necessity. I essentially followed the directions from here to the letter, BUT I had to add 'sudo' at the beginning of the command to run flasher-3.0. When I didn't, it couldn't grab the USB port.

So, here's the funny part... in order to run the update to the firmware, you HAVE to switch off the tablet. So, of course, it won't come back on to let you flash it. So I had to go upstairs to put it in the freezer for a bit. My wife happened to be there and saw me put my N800 tablet in the freezer and said, "Um, do you wanna explain why you just put a computer in the freezer??" LOL... needless to say, I had a hard time explaining WHY this worked, because I personally have no idea myself. However, after leaving it in long enough it started up.

Before flashing it this time I performed a backup with the integrated software. I must say that is VERY slick and easy. Bravo! So, after it was flashed and started up, it said it found a previous backup and would I like to restore from there. I said yes and it ran through it pretty quickly. It barked about some of the documents added by the firmware being newer on the device, etc. I selected not to replace them with the backup in case there are differences. I made the mistake of deleting my device off my phone because I thought I was going to have to go through it again, but it restored the settings from the backup. My guess is it would have worked perfectly, but being that I deleted the device on my phone I had to run through it again. It then asked me if I wanted to restore all my applications!! I was surprised at this and didn't think it would do this for me. I said yes and it proceeded (the best it could) to download and install all the apps. I say best it could because some of my apps were not pulled from repositories and required manual intervention.

After all my apps were on and I was satisfied with how it was setup I tested shutting it down and then turning it right back on... IT WORKS!!!! I'm so excited about this because it means I don't need to stay close to a freezer. Another funny thing my wife asked me, knowing that I am traveling to a week long conference in Florida next week, "So, are you gonna have to excuse yourself from the show floor to run back to your mini-bar so you can jump start your little gadget??" Ahhhh... she's funny.

Anyway, I'm just glad that it was able to be resolved with a software update and I didn't have to deal with returns and such. THAT would have been a pain!

No comments: