Monday, February 18, 2008

Bluetooth to Verizon Phone for DUN Works - Internet Tablet Talk Forums

Bluetooth to Verizon Phone for DUN Works - Internet Tablet Talk Forums:
"There are posts scattered throughout the Internet with the necessary info, but it's confusing as to what is actually required. (e.g. I didn't have to hex edit firmware or anything like that.) This is a summary of the key points (only one in particular was tricky):

* Only works if phone is in 1X network only mode. If EVDO network mode (or hybrid mode) is enabled on phone, it doesn't work.
* I used the Nokia cell phone wizard to setup the main parameters, but I could just have easily used the 'connection details' screens. I don't think the wizard does anything special.
* Username: <10-digit-phone-num>@vzw3g.com (Using @... didn't work for me.)
* Password: vzw
* Phone Num: #777
* The tricky part: I also had to edit /etc/ppp/options and uncomment the '-chap' option. Until I did that, it would say 'authentication failed' and disconnect immediately.


With all that, I'm now able to connect via Bluetooth and get ~115k speeds. It doesn't stay connected for a long (<10 seconds) if I don't use it, but otherwise seems to work as expected."

Okay, I have a Verizon LG VX8550 with the premium calling plan that includes unlimited VCAST (EVDO) and a bunch of features such as VZ Navigator, SMS messaging. I would rather connect via EVDO, and I'm on the trail of figuring out how to do that, but I didn't want to lose this post since this is better than nothing. I will either create a separate post on getting EVDO working, or update this post. Either way I will update this with my findings of this specific fix.

No comments: