Monday, March 3, 2008

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) LAMP Server Setup -- Ubuntu Geek

Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) LAMP Server Setup -- Ubuntu Geek

I recently changed my home server from CentOS 5 to Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) Server Edition and installed it choosing "DNS server", "LAMP server" (Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP), "OpenSSH server" and "Samba File server"during the software selection portion. I did NOT follow the linked setup guide, but found it later when I was looking for an easy way to install Webmin on it from a command prompt.

I plan on going through this guide now to see if I missed anything beneficial, etc. I will also try to go into more detail of why I switched to Ubuntu from CentOS, but the "straw that broke (this) camel's back" was the difficulty in getting Samba shares setup and usable from client PCs. When I got the same function working in only minutes from my Ubuntu desktop PC, I decided to make the switch. It was very recent and I haven't had any time to look at the Samba sharing, but I will provide and update with my findings/experience.

No comments: