Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Nautilus scripts - Tag MP3 Files

Nautilus scripts:
"This program adds a new entry to the contextual menu which allows us to fill the ID3 tags of mp3 files with its appropriate genre, artist, year, album, number of song and title using its path. For this program to work your music has to be stored using a path like /Genre/Artist/Year - Album/Number - Title.mp3

Also if you have an image for the artist at the 'Artist' folder and / or one for the album at the 'Year - Album' folder, these will be added too to their corresponding ID3 tags."

I know I already have a post about these scripts, but I wanted to point this script out specifically because of the method and filing system it is using. I have been struggling with my music library for a long time and finally started to reign it in. However, I was using a method that is somewhat haphazard compared to this. I have a directory where all my media exists, and then sub-folders for music, videos, movies, etc. Under Music, I have some genre folders, but mostly artist folders right at the root. Really, the order is one that makes sense to me, but the rules I make up are probably not rigid enough.

So I may start toying with filing my music like this. I'm still in the early stages of organization so it won't be that bad... and the stuff I already organized will be easier since I know much about it already.

No comments: