Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Windows Server 2008 Activation Failed

markwilson.it » Windows Vista volume activation failure:

"Your computer could not be activated.
Error:
0×8007232B
Description:
DNS name does not exist"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The post listed above was actually for Vista, but it solved my problems for Windows Server 2008 as well. The problem turned out to be that I never entered a product key during installation of my server, and when it was forcing me to activate Windows, it was erroring with the above description (DNS name does not exist).

That message is not telling me the real problem for my copy, but I can almost see the logic after reading Mark's post. It's looking for an activation server internally because enterprises can now post a server to handle activations of their installs. But couldn't they have added "You may need to reenter your product key", or something along those lines?

Thank goodness I found this post by Mark Wilson. I don't know if I ever would have guessed that. Partly because there *was* a product key listed in System Properties... it's obviously just a generic one to give you the 120 days or whatever.

Oh well... life moves on, and my server is fine now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea, I'm not sure why it states something about DNS instead of a product key problem. When you manage many servers sometimes it's difficult to remember if you entered a product key! Guess that's why we are supposed to document stuff eh! Thanks for the help.