Monday, September 29, 2008

Getting Things Done - For the normal human

Feature: Practicing Simplified GTD: "Practicing Simplified GTD"

I can't remember the first time I picked up David Allen's "Getting Things Done" book, but it's been quite a while. **Actually, I lied... I looked in the book and found the receipt! ;-) I bought it on March 11, 2005. So, while I didn't lie about it being quite a while, I did in fact know the date.

Anyway, I read through the book and was pretty fascinated by a lot of what he had to say. A lot of it makes sense... but the process he uses seems WAY too complex for me. Because of how complex his process was, I fell in and out of trying to use it, and eventually boiled it down to pretty much only email, and I even purchased David Allen's GTD Outlook Plug-in. I honestly still use it, to some extent, and using it to file things based on project has come in handy from time to time... but quite honestly I review items so little, that the up front work to file each item takes WAY too long for the VERY minimal return I get from it, if ever. Because I came to this realization recently, I have been trying to think of a way to still use some of the methods and ideas, but make things even more simplistic and, above all, EASY and fast to deal with.

I had grabbed a copy of the above post from Lifehacker, and I may have started to read it but didn't have the time right then (probably why I grabbed it for later). I just read through the whole thing today because I am feeling VERY much out of control and disorganized and vowed I would do something today to try and regain some control. I wanted to share it because I think I am going to try this method and adapt it to my needs.

Now that I have my BlackBerry and have been relegated to only my work laptop as my only PC (my personal PC is no longer booting up and I haven't had time to figure out what it is... but I'm betting dollars to pesos that it's the motherboard), I wanted to start getting my life in sync between the two devices. I will figure out the easiest way to do that across those two devices and make sure it translates to my other potential devices. My key reason being that, I have to be able to add or subtract or see items on a to-do list at all times... and I'd rather not do that all from my BB only... though, that is a possibility if "Tasks" through Outlook is too cumbersome. Currently, I do not have a wireless sync between Exchange/Outlook and my BB... and I don't hook up my BB more than say twice a day (if I remember) to sync data between them. So "Tasks" so far has not been a great method for me. I may move to something like "Don't Forget The Milk" on the BB only, unless I can find something I like that allows me to do things in "the cloud"... but I'd rather find something that syncs in case my connection is limited.

I'll try and post back with what I figure out for myself. I'm always interested in what others do if you're interested in sharing.

1 comment:

VirtuallyGeeky said...

I may try this, but there is a cost associated if you don't want limits... and to be honest, how could you effectively use this with some of the limits imposed on the free and basic versions?

The mobile version and mobile site access intrigues me, but I fear it is not tightly integrated with the BB calendar and tasks, therefore wouldn't sync with Outlook.

Then again, if I use this product itself instead of Outlook, maybe that doesn't matter. The (potential) downside to that is, I may be *required* to use Outlook by my employer... we'll see.