Monday, September 8, 2008

Viigo Beta on the BlackBerry

Today I realized there was a beta of Viigo for the BB that gives the same updated user interface as what I was using on my WM Treo. This made me very happy because I was missing the updated UI and features. I also have to say that I am happy with how stable the beta is on the bb as opposed to what I was experiencing on WM. I truly do not think the instability I saw on WM has anything to do with Viigo's development. Most apps on the WM platform had issues, which is why I switched to the BB.



One feature that is planned but currently unavailable (and I got a response from Viigo that a timeframe is currently unavailable) is the Audio/Podcasts feature which *was* working on the WM beta version I tested. I'm guessing the delay is a download issue since the BB goes through either a BIS or BES. I've found that several things that worked or pulled down one way on my WM device either do not work on my BB or react/display differently. I've been attributing this to BIS. I've also noticed and heard from my friend how some things do not work for him that work for me, or vice versa. I have to believe that this is due to how the carrier manages their BIS servers.



One instance of this is, on his T-Mobile Curve, the MobiPocket OTA eBook Store does not work, yet my Sprint Curve works with it just fine. On the flip side, true html web and html email work perfectly for him on T-Mobile, while not at all on Sprint.



I intend to post more comparisons when I get my T-Mobile Curve at the end of this week (hopefully).



One thing that was apparently just released by Sprint for the BB, and I just installed, is their mobile NFL app. I'll be semi-bummed to lose that switching to T-Mobile, but not enough to stop me. I'm not sure that app is all that good anyway, and Wi-Fi is much more important to me, as well as html email and web.





Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

No comments: