Friday, August 15, 2008

Viigo... acting funky on my Treo

**Update** See the comments... you'll never believe this...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you missed my post on Viigo, check it out.

Well, I know this is still beta, so I'm truly not upset... but I thought I'd share something that has been going wrong with Viigo on my Treo. My guess, too, is that this is more an issue with WM than it is on Blackberry devices.

Because Windows Mobile has the ability to multi-task, or have multiple applications running at the same time and switch between them, I think Viigo is getting confused or something. If I run Viigo and do not leave that app, it seems to work just fine and great even. However, if I turn off my screen or try and switch to another app, it seems Viigo is actually crashing. I say "crashing" because it doesn't appear to close cleanly. The app takes up the full screen, so even the WM title bar at the top of the screen. When Viigo crashes, it leaves the Viigo app covering the title bar. So far, the only way I found to get the title bar back was to do a soft reset on my device (essentially rebooting it).

One other thing that I noticed, it's not the fastest app on my Treo. This could be for a couple reasons: 1) Memory?, 2) CPU speed, 3) The app is not optimized enough for WM?

Working on the theory that the app is not optimized for WM, I think this may be it because if I have Viigo running and go to the start menu and select it again, it starts another instance of that app. This may not be the best way to get back to an app, but all my other apps in WM will get me right back to the running instance if I select it from the Start Menu and it's already running. The reason I use the Start Menu is because it requires the least amount of steps to get to it (it has a hardware button and then select the app, instead of bringing up the task manager, selecting the app, then clicking "Activate").

Anyway, I'm not trying to take anything away from how awesome Viigo is, just throwing out a possible bug with the current beta version.

4 comments:

Mark Ruddock said...

Thanks for the input, we'll look into it right away.

Mark Ruddock
CEO
Viigo

Anonymous said...

There was a bug found that caused Viigo to cover the taskbar (even when it was in the background), that has been fixed in the latest public beta (3.0.18)

If there is a crash however the taskbar will be covered; to fix this you can simply open up Viigo again (no need for a soft reset). If you find a crash let us know at support@viigo.com what you were doing and we'll try to fix the issue. Try to be as verbose as possible when describing the steps.

When you start the app from the icon, start menu, file explorer etc you're always going to get the same app. Try clicking "Close" on Viigo then starting it up again it will appear quickly.

The speed and memory footprint of Viigo will continue to improve as time goes on.

You can get the latest cab on your device via http://getviigo.com/beta

Enjoy and feel free to send in comments, suggestions etc.

VirtuallyGeeky said...

I have to say I was blown AWAY when I received not only the first comment from Viigo's CEO, but an actual factual follow-up support comment with a solution! And this is from a blog post that I didn't bother to post anywhere else... just my own little blog I didn't think anyone actually read. I didn't create an SR or log a support ticket with Viigo... just BAM, help in my own blog!

WTF??!?!? Who are these people? This product is free... where is this incredible customer support coming from? Who do they think they are breaking the mold?!??

I am thoroughly impressed by this and honestly am still blown away. I mean, it was only 1 hour and 11 minutes after my initial post that the CEO provided a comment that they would "look into it". Like I haven't heard THAT before when I call support... then they never actually provide any solution. But no, that wasn't good enough. They had to go ahead and follow through!!!

I'll be faithful Viigo, I promise.

{whisper} These people must have cameras and wire taps all over the frickin place. {/whisper} ;-)

VirtuallyGeeky said...

If you guys are still reading this, I gave up on Windows Mobile (not because of the Viigo app). I tried the new beta for WM and it DID work better, but WM has issues and I just couldn't take them anymore. I bought a BlackBerry Curve and Viigo seems to be much more stable on there.

Now, while it IS more stable, it also seems to be missing a lot of the features and nice UI of the WM version. Do you guys plan on providing that to the BB version?? I hope so, because some of those were REALLY nice. I also hope you are not going the route of mainly developing for WM, because it just seems faulted to me (and I even checked out WM6.x).

I will probably create a separate post on Viigo for the BB and review it there, comparing the BB version to the WM version.

Thanks for your incredible customer service!