Friday, August 15, 2008

NoviiMedia... dud on my 700wx

As I posted, I installed and tried NoviiMedia's remote application.

At first, I thought maybe I wasn't using the correct code bases for my electronics, but after everything failing from my couch, I decided to get up close and personal with my electronics and see if it was a distance thing (the NoviiMedia site showed the Treo 700wx having an effective range of 6-12 feet). Once I got right up to it, the remote did in fact work.... ummm, isn't the idea of a remote to allow you NOT to be within arms reach of the device you are trying to control?!? ;-)

Oh well, I wasn't THAT hopeful it would work. It would have been cool, but it's not that big of a deal honestly.

So, my advice to ANYONE with interest in this app: Try before you buy (I did and am glad).

I know they had SD card IR sensor add-ons for the Treo 650, but I haven't looked for that and quite frankly I don't think I'd go to all the trouble of pulling out my current SD card and inserting that thing just to get a semi-decent learning remote with limited macros. I'd rather spend the $99 and get the Logitech Harmony or the XBOX 360 centric Harmony since I have a 360 hooked up to my Vista Ultimate PC. ;-)

No comments: