Sunday, May 24, 2009

HOWTO - Use MobileMe with Your Own Domain! - macosx.com

HOWTO - Use MobileMe with Your Own Domain! - macosx.com:

****UPDATE****
I have since decided (I think) that I am NOT going to go with MobileMe (unless they release some serious enhancements and reasons to keep me) and am going to figure out a way to utilize Google for free (GoogleSync for the iPhone). I will post more on my solution as I figure it out.
****/UPDATE****

I actually figured this out on my own by playing around a bit, but then I found this post that confirmed my findings.

What this allows is all of the MobileMe push/sync goodness while still allowing you to send replies as a different domain email account. The Sent items become a bit scattered, but at least it's something.

Here's the post:

"HOWTO - Use MobileMe with Your Own Domain!
I really want to use MobileMe with my own domain and with a new feature in iPhone 2.0 I have managed to pull it off.

1) Setup your MobileMe account with all the push and syncing features so that life is good and jolly.

2) Setup your own mail account and setup, just as you normally would until your satisfied with it.

3) Go into Settings and Fetch Settings and turn your 'non-mobileme' account to manual. Go in and read any emails you need too to get your new emails down to ZERO.

4) Forward your emails from your primary domain account to your MobileMe service, most email providers provide this type of feature. Worst case, setup MobileMe to POP your mail account, but that won't be 'instant' like forwarding is.

5) When you get a new email in to MobileMe and reply to it, if it's an email you want to come from your own domain, just select the 'from' field, and a new feature allows you to choose which account to send the email FROM. Select the other domain account and send it.

Your SENT items will appear in your personal domain email account Sent folders, not MobileMe.

While it's not a PERFECT solution, its better than nothing."

No comments: